Model memorandum and articles of association
We have developed a model Memorandum and Articles of Association (mem and arts) for local support and development organisations which is fully compliant with the Charities Act 2011 and the Companies Act 2006, and approved as a charitable model by the Charity Commission.
The Charities Act 2011 was a consolidation Act, which brought together variious Acts, including Charities act 1993 and Charities Act 2006. This did not alter the law, just brought exisitng legislation together in one law. We have updated the models to refer to the new section and clause references. The podcasts and other supporting information refer to the previous acts in places. The correct reference would now be to the Charities Act 2011. All other information is however correct.
We strongly recommend that local support and development organisations are incorporated as a company, as well as having charitable status. Unlike unincorporated organisations, a company has a separate legal existence from its members. This means that the company can employ staff, own property, enter into contracts, and sue or be sued in the courts, rather than individual management committee members being personally responsible for these functions.
The model mem and arts comes in two formats, and you must be sure that you select the right format to use depending on your current legal status. Download our guidance to help you select the appropriate model, introduce you to the mem and arts, and answer many of your questions. The audio and written guidance provides you with the same information in alternative formats.
- Audio guidance podcast 1 - Introduction and background (MP3 5.70MB)
- Audio guidance podcast 2 - Who is this model for? (MP3 3.49MB)
- Audio guidance podcast 3 - Adopting the new model (MP3 3.17MB)
- Audio guidance podcast 4 - Definitions and explanations (MP3 9.31MB)
- Transcript for introducing the new model (Word, 140KB)
- Written guidance (PDF 105KB)
- 1985 model mem and arts (Word 184KB)
- 2006 model mem and arts (Word 197KB)
- Information sheets on how to adopt the mem and arts (PDF 79 KB)
- Model special resolution form (Word 110KB)
- Comparison table of old and new models (PDF 75KB)
For further questions or support, join in the navcaboodle mem and arts discussion group
If you enter your email address, we will notify you when we change this page.Give feedback